LZECU Lil' Atoms
Learning to save for what you want in life is a crucial life skill, but it’s one very few young people are taught. LZECU is here to help young people develop good saving habits.
The first step to teaching your kids about money is talking about money.
So how to start the talk?
- Ask questions. If you’re going out to eat, talk about the price difference between the options, and ask them which they would choose. If they select the more expensive, talk through what you might have to give up later in the week.
- Make them part of your budgeting. If you’re doing any kind of financial planning for the year, solicit input from your kids. Enlist them in your saving goals—no one watches you more closely than your kids, so they’re natural accountability partners! If you’re uncomfortable revealing too much of your financial picture, you can keep the discussions high level, but involving them makes money less abstract.
- Open a youth savings account at Lubrizol Employees’ Credit Union. This is the best way to help them to learn to save for what they find meaningful in life. A lifetime of good savings habits can start now!
How to open a youth account
Parents, grandparents and other adult members can establish a life-long LZECU membership by opening a Lil' Atoms membership for their children 12 and under* with benefits such as:
- Minimum $5 opening deposit
- Access to Lil' Atoms events throughout the year
- Lil' Atoms Savers Card - Receive one punch per day when your child comes in to make a deposit into their Lil' Atoms account. When the card is complete, be entered into a quarterly drawing to win $50!
Open a Lil' Atoms membershipApply for your child's LZECU membership online using their information or contact us for questions .
*Tax information for the account is reported under the child’s Social Security number with signed consent from parent. Only one custodian per account. Custodian is the only one with access to funds for all transactions. The minor cannot access the funds until age 21 without permission of the custodian.
Learn about money the fun way!
How is money made